Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Social Media Change

Social media has affected the way we communicate in so many ways it can be thought of as outrageous. It is kind of crazy to think 10 years ago when a person would travel half way across the world and wanted to see their family they would have to wait until they returned back home. Now-a-days it does not matter where you are, a person can be as close to you as from the click of a button. Matter of fact, with some devices people do not even have to press a button. When you look at social media affecting communication in this situation it is great because we as humans long for a connection with others in some form.
On the other hand Social Media has also crutched communications. I am going to focus on the communications within college students. As a college student myself I witness everyday incidences when other students are glued to their phone and computer screens. One might think they would be doing homework on their devices but sadly they are not. Instead, their eyes are fixated on the latest viral video, social meme and so on. I sometimes find it difficult to have a conversation face-to-face with others. It almost seems as if Social Media has managed to reduce the ability for students to interact physically. A good example of this is the other day I saw a friend sitting down looking at their phone. When I attempted to grab their attention they remained engrossed in newest craze in social media. I thought to myself how I can divert their attention away from their device. Finally after repeated attempts I decided to slap them in the back of their head. It clearly, was not my first option, but it was the only thing that got them to lift their head up to look me in the eyes.

Social Media has done a lot of good in the world. It allows people to be constantly informed, gives easy access to family and friends, and it can act as an escape from the world. At the same time people have become more disconnected with the outside world. I think there needs to be a balance between using Social Media and Communicating .

No comments:

Post a Comment