Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Viral Videos

Viral Videos

Here is something that I am pretty positive everyone is curious to know about: viral videos. I have always wanted to know what makes a video go “viral,” the money that can be gained from it and many other things.  First, let us figure what a viral video is. According to Techopedia, my first article, a viral video is defined as any clip of animation or film that is spread rapidly through online sharing. Reading what a viral video is defined I learned I was completely wrong in what these are. I thought there had to be a certain number of times the video is viewed in a given time span. As it turns out most videos that go viral fall into one of three categories: unintentional, humorous, and promotional.

Something that is very common now-a-days is the rate at which viral videos pop up. Now that most mobile devices include a video camera, and a vast amount of people have video sharing capabilities a viral video is created pretty much daily. It is crazy to think that not even ten years ago if a video went viral it was pretty much a one way ticket to stardom.  During that time viral videos were a rare sight to watch and I feel often times it was the media that catapulted videos to the next level. One of the most well-known videos and most viewed on YouTube is Gangnam Style. I bet you are wondering how did a video that, 1: not American made, and 2: not even spoken in English, become the most watched video in the world? I was curious to find out so I went and did some research on how to create a viral video. What I found were some guidelines to follow:                                                        
1.       No need to have expensive equipment
2.       Make your videos for fun, not money
3.       Keep your videos short
4.       Keep your expectations in check


I think one of the reasons why Gangnam Style song was such a big hit with the world is it followed step two in the guideline. A person could tell that the artist was purely having fun with music making.  The guideline I find fascinating is the first one in that you don’t need fancy equipment to make a viral hit. To me it seems like common sense, yet people still go and spend thousands on special equipment to help them achieve their stardom. Now, if you will excuse me I have to go off and create my own viral video using my cell phone!





1 comment: