Thursday, April 2, 2015

Fastest Way To Topple Governments

Social Media Case Reflection #2: Arab Spring
The Arab Spring was a series of anti-government protests, uprisings and armed rebellions that spread across the Middle East in early 2011. The use of social media platforms played a pivotal role in the organization of many protests across the Arab Nations. This post will focus on the uses of social media in how it made much of the protest possible.

It is amazing how only a few decades ago if people wanted to get to get together to protest it would take months of planning. There would be numerous phone calls made, people having to write newspaper ads etc. I think we all know that can take forever to achieve your goal especially when it involves other countries coming together for a common goal. That is where social media comes in. Social media bridged the gap in time. Before I continue I want to use a quote from an Egyptian Activist named Wael Ghonim.  This quote will set up everything I talk about. He said “If you want to liberate a people, give them the Internet.” I think that quote speaks volumes into the protests for numerous reasons. One being, having the internet allows for quick assembly and in the case of Arab Springs the governments could not control the content that was being exposed.

In one of the articles I read, it was discussed the extent to which people would go to show their defiance against the regime. This is also where I think the use of social media might have gone too far. The one that caught my eye was of a citizen of Sidi Bouzid by the name of Mohammed Bouaziz set himself on fire, and then his desperate act of defiance was posted on Facebook and YouTube. The problem with such heinous act posted on to social media platforms is anyone and everyone has the ability to watch it, including children. This is can also be thought of as a con of the protests because there might have been followers who were against violent acts. Personally, if I was part of a protest that was supposed to be non-violent I would lose my interest when I saw someone setting themselves on fire. To display the power social media has, president Hosni Mubarak was forced out of his office because of 5.5% of his population, were able to connect through social media. The 5.5% may seem like a small number to overthrow a president, but that percentage translates into about 6 million people! There is no way that many people would have been able to band together without the aid of social media. In this particular case Facebook was the platform of choice.

There were some big ethical issues that were taking place during this time. Some governments tried to control local and foreign information and support for the protestors by creating Internet blackouts. To fight this Google and Twitter offered a service they called “Speak-2-Tweet.” This is where I feel some rules of ethics were broken. I think it was unethical for Twitter and Google to bypass a country’s control on something so that others could know what is going on. I look at it this way; if there were a problem within my family that was going on, I would want to keep it within my family as to keep others from trying to put their two cents in on the matter.  I kind of feel that is what happened in this country. There was a clear issue and the government wanted to keep the problem within its country and not have outsiders attempting to fight a battle that is not theirs.

You all have probably heard the phrase “the pen is mightier than the sword.” Well I would like to introduce you to the new type of pen and its name is Social Media. It is scary how powerful social media can be when used properly. It blows my mind to think that such platforms have the ability to overthrow dictatorships and topple governments. There are definite downsides to using social media as a weapon of information, and at the same time it is a good thing to have when trying to bring massive groups of people together.


No comments:

Post a Comment