Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Aggregators

With so much technology and social media platforms in the world, how does one go about managing all of their accounts? Are they kind of like me and decide when they want to check another account or post the same thing on a different platform they have to first log out then log in to the other platform to say what they want to say? I can tell you from personal experience that having to log in and out of different accounts is complete overkill. By the time I have logged out of one and in to another I have all but forgot what I was wanting to post. This is where aggregators come in to play, but first let’s define what it means for all of you non-social lights out there. According to Google an aggregator is a website or program that collects related items of content and displays them or links to them. More simply put an aggregator takes out the hassle of needing to log in and out of platforms to get the same message across. Honestly, I did not know what an aggregator truly was until I looked up the definition. Although I have few social media platforms I am active on, it turns out I have been it to link out all of my messages.

In one of the articles I read I found something that I thought was interesting. As a business, it may be stretched across numerous platforms. On one platform the user may want to target one audience and target a different audience using another platform. What makes an aggregator an effective tool is the business can choose what platforms the message gets linked to. With that being said there doesn’t exist an aggregation tool that can seamlessly manage all of your platforms. An issue developers are running into is what exactly an aggregator should do because social sites are used in different ways by various groups of people.

Through my findings I have learned there exists many aggregating apps and websites with many of them targeting specific platform areas. An example of this is the tool called Tweetdeck. This tool was designed mainly for people who considered themselves to be tweeters. Since its creation, it has evolved into a comprehensive platform which services Facebook, LinkedIn, and MySpace.

Aggregators are a huge milestone achievement in social media. It has given people to ability to link out what they are saying across platforms; thus saving finger cramps from repetitive typing among other benefits.

3 comments:

  1. I was the same way. I had no idea that these tools even existed before doing this assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aggregator platforms are so helpful and really make life so much easier and less time consuming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could use these tools better!

    ReplyDelete