Tuesday, March 31, 2015

SEO

Search Engine Optimization

Up until the point I looked up what this phrase was, roughly five minutes ago, I had no idea what Search Engine Optimization entailed. I now know that it is defined as the process of maximizing the number of visitors to a particular website by ensuring that site appears high on the list results returned by a search engine. Knowing this, it comes as no surprise why being towards the top the results is an integral part of a company. Based on the article “Tips for SEO” from the Business Insider, if a company wants to find itself on the top of the results list there are a few things that need to happen. One of the biggest things is to have relevant and original content. I can see how this would be important attribute. The more original your content is the easier it is for others to find you. Another tip is to have good description and keywords.  Using keywords that describe what your companies do in as few words as possible can help the consumer to find you more easily. Think; less is more.

As I was doing my research on the topic of SEOs I decided to see how social media has an impact on them. I found some what I think are some interesting ways. The first way is the creation of link potential. If a reporter decides to write about a feature within the company and they link it back to the brand’s website, it becomes more accessible since others will have seen the link too; thus bringing us to the next way social media effects SEOs. It can increase the volume of traffic going to your website. This ties back into the linking potential.  The more times an item is looked at or shared on a social media platform the higher up it will start to appear in the results of search engines.


In a face-paced social world, people do not have, nor care, to have to dig to find what they are looking for online; thus Search Engine Optimization appear to be an important aspect of being able to get a company noticed. From my personal experience I would have to say the links listed on the top ten of a search engine is about as far down I will look.

1 comment: